Saturday, February 8, 2014

Nicpon M1 Blog


What source did you review and who created it? What perspective do you think it is meant to convey?

I found the video links for the second discussion very interesting.  One common theme that seemed to be apparent for the majority of them is that of personal accountability.  One elder, Floyd Red Crow Westerman of the Hopi Tribe talks of having a purification time and a renewal time (Westerman, Indigenous Native American Prophecy).  With all the environmental issues in this world today, the Native Americans feel it is a direct result of ignoring your surroundings.  The Native Americans believed in using the resources earth provided, but also acted responsibly in maintaining a balance.  Westerman talks of planting crops and using landscape patterns to maintain nutrients in the soil.  He goes on to say that Native Americans would not clear cut acres of trees, as is common practice now.  They realized the importance that trees had in purifying the air.  Their practices were successful for thousands of years in maintaining diverse and productive ecosystems.  Unfortunately I believe that the demands of the Europeans for furs, housing, etc started the ecological imbalance that continues today.  Many do not realize the strain we have put on our environment or the importance of our natural resources. 

Has the information you have read thus far changed, in some way, your view of native communities?

I was surprised to see that Native Americans had their own trading networks already established prior to the arrival of the white settlers.  With the lack of information about the Native Americans upon the arrival of Columbus, I was under the impression that the European settlers had created the first trading.  This was not the case.  Many Native Americans already had preexisting trading partnerships.  Such was the case with the Illinois Indians.  In the late 1600s, the Illinois served as middlemen in an extensive trading network. They received hides and furs from the Osage and Missouri tribes living to their south and west, which they exchanged with the Ottawa and other Great Lakes tribes for guns, brass kettles, tools, and other objects” (Museum Link Illinois, 2000)



Map of the Illionois Indian trade routes: 1673 - 1700


Illinois Indian Trade Routes

 

Citations:

Westerman, (Part 1) Indigenous Native American Prophecy (Elders Speak part ,  retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7cylfQtkDg

Museum Link Illinois, (2000) The Illinois Economy Trade, retrieved from http://www.museum.state.il.us/muslink/nat_amer/post/htmls/ec_trade.html










4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A common theme seems to be that the white man has ignored the natural resources and also abused them to the point of making them disappear. Every time I read something about the resources and how the Native Americans used them and attempted to preserve them it makes me contemplate how it was that they knew so much more hundreds of years ago about it than we did or do now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Marie, I believe it is due to the Native Americans being one with their surroundings, and having a greater understanding of the natural resources available to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Michael,

    I think that you did a goo job with this source. Make sure that you look at the sources in the Module Resource section as well (these sources should be referenced on your blog to give you an expanded view of the links that you must use within your other assignments). That being said, I can see that you are learning a lot about pre-European trade routes. Here is a really good article about this study: https://www.academia.edu/4998969/Trade_Routes_in_the_Americas_Before_Columbus

    ReplyDelete